gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Sockets

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Sockets
Date: 27 Aug 2003 17:58:11 -0400

Greetings!

Erik Andersson <address@hidden> writes:

> I tried to use sockets in GCL but I couldn't find any documentation (is
> there any?). Instead I searched the code and found the sockets.c in the
> o-directory. Is this the "official" sockets api for GCL?

I dn't think there is any.  A proposed patch to gcl-si.texi would be
most appreciated.

> In any case I tried to figure out how to use it. I tried (setq test-socket
> (si:open-named-socket 8000)) but I got an Error: Caught fatal error
> [memory may be damaged] which I assume is related to a segmentation fault
> somewhere. It still seemed to work somewhat because there was something
> listening at port 8000, unfortunately the test-socket pointed to
> potentially damaged memory.

There was a bug which is fixed in CVS 2.5.4 and CVS HEAD.  I can
separate the patch out if you'd like.

> I tried to add some debug statements in the sockets.c and recompile, which
> turned out to be somewhat difficult. A make in the base directory didn't
> do anything, but after first doing make clean I could see the debug
> statements.
>
> Then I changed some more and tried to get a quicker compile. I did make clean
> in o, removed the saved_ansi_gcl and did a make saved_ansi_gcl which
> failed after a while. After first doing a make in o it worked however, and
> now open-named-socket worked as well!
>
> The problem is just that I don't understand how the socket api actually
> works, and I couldn't find any references to it, except in tkl.lisp
> where open-named-socket was used with two parameters!

This is part of the same bug.  In short, ports are not always short
integers, which the old code assumed.

> I'm sorry if I just missed the documentation but I wonder if someone has
> any advice on how to use the sockets?

I'd use CVS 2.5.4.  Please let us know how it goes.

Take care,