gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Sockets

From: Erik Andersson
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Sockets
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:29:16 +0200 (MEST)

I tried to use sockets in GCL but I couldn't find any documentation (is
there any?). Instead I searched the code and found the sockets.c in the
o-directory. Is this the "official" sockets api for GCL?

In any case I tried to figure out how to use it. I tried (setq test-socket
(si:open-named-socket 8000)) but I got an Error: Caught fatal error
[memory may be damaged] which I assume is related to a segmentation fault
somewhere. It still seemed to work somewhat because there was something
listening at port 8000, unfortunately the test-socket pointed to
potentially damaged memory.

I tried to add some debug statements in the sockets.c and recompile, which
turned out to be somewhat difficult. A make in the base directory didn't
do anything, but after first doing make clean I could see the debug
statements.

Then I changed some more and tried to get a quicker compile. I did make clean
in o, removed the saved_ansi_gcl and did a make saved_ansi_gcl which
failed after a while. After first doing a make in o it worked however, and
now open-named-socket worked as well!

The problem is just that I don't understand how the socket api actually
works, and I couldn't find any references to it, except in tkl.lisp
where open-named-socket was used with two parameters!

I'm sorry if I just missed the documentation but I wonder if someone has
any advice on how to use the sockets?

/Erik Andersson