gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: apparent GCL/Windows issue

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: apparent GCL/Windows issue
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:24:19 +1000

Hi Matt/Camm.

| > ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcl/cvs/gcl-cvs-20021014-mingw32.zip
| >

| Mike, can you comment on whether diffs between then and now might
| be relevant?

Apart from the patch you mentioned below, I'm not aware of any other similar
bugs being found or fixed since then.  Having said that, I wouldn't have
remembered fixing that bug if you hadn't pointed it out!

| > Perhaps we need to build ACL2 on a more up-to-date Windows/GCL.
|  But I went to
| > both ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/ and
| ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/cvs/ and
| > there isn't any GCL 2.5.x to be found.  Any suggestions?
| >

| The ftp site at gnu.org was apparently compromised.  They are trying
| to restore files asap.  Mike, if you could upload your latest tarball
| again, I think it should appear within 24 hours at the site.

Unfortunately the experimental ANSI package is still there as I write, but
the traditional build I just uploaded should be up soon:

   gcl_2.5.3.japi.20030812_mingw32.zip.

| Currently, GCL only supports MinGW32 as opposed to cygwin.
| Personally, I'd like to see both eventually supported, but our Windows
| expert vouches highly for the superiority of the former, and I defer
| to his judgement.

I'll discuss this separately just on the GCL developers list.

| Mike, could the presence of the cygwin libs cause
| problems here?

I'm unclear about what is going on, but if Jared is using a GCL from our
standard installer distribution, then the correct C compiler is included
with that and should operate automagically in GCL without interference from
the surrounding Cygwin tools. (This is different to using GCL directly from
within the source tree.)

| > I can certify the arithmetic book without a problem, but "make
| > cancel-terms-meta.cert" fails with:
| >
| >    make[2]: *** [cancel-terms-meta.cert] Error 128
| >
| > Looking at the cancel-terms-meta.out file, I see pages of "[GC for 100
| > FIXNUM pages..[GC for 100 FIXNUM pages..[GC for 100 FIXNUM pages.."
| > immediately following the following:
| >

| Mike, could this possibly be due to the following patch, committed
| shortly after the build they are using was cut?

I guess you really mean "due to the bug fixed by the following patch".  Yes,
that sounds right, so hopefully an up-to-date GCL will help.

| (sid)address@hidden:/fix/t1/camm/gcl-2.5.4/o$ cvs log unixtime.c

| revision 1.15
| date: 2002/11/19 03:05:59;  author: mjthomas;  state: Exp;  lines: +34 -11
| make_fixnum() called GBC(t_fixnum) called runtime() called make_fixnum...

Best of luck to you Jared.  Please let us know how you go with GCL 2.5.3
when it turns up on the download site.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.