gcl-devel

Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compl

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compliance with GNU GPL
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:52:29 -0400

    How much of an issue is it really if we just place GCL under the GPL?
    Do we know of anyone who would be inconvenienced by this?

I think it would be good if GCL were under the GPL.  And the LGPL
permits changing the license to the GPL, so anyone can do that, so we
can do that.  However, if the bulk of the code was written by people
who wanted that code to be under the LGPL, there is a sense in which
it would be bad to go against their wishes.

We could say, "Some of the files are under the LGPL, and some under
the GPL.  If you want to use the combination, you must follow the
terms of the GPL."  This way, we could avoid changing the license
on code written by others.