gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compliance with GNU GPL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compliance with GNU GPL
Date: 01 Jul 2003 17:07:14 -0400

Greetings, and thanks for your reply!

David Turner <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 21:47, Camm Maguire wrote:
>
> > It appears we have several options:
> >
> > 1) remove or replace readline in GCL and keep the LGPL
> > 2) make use of the clause you cite below for a multiple license
> >         strategy depending on whether readline is linked in.
> > 3) make GCL GPL and add a note in the COPYING file allowing
> >         proprietary images built with proprietary standard common lisp
> >         code.
> >
> > My first question is concerning the difference in practice between the
> > LGPL and the GPL with the clause as in 3).  Aren't they completely
> > equivalent?  It would not appear that option 3) would pose a
> > significant obstacle to anyone.
>
> I'm not sure I fully understand clause 3.  Note that the LGPL's section
> 6 does impose some restrictions on software that links to the library.

As for clause 3), this refers to the paragraph GPL'ed CLISP uses to
allow proprietary images built with the compiler, as suggested by Sam
Steingold:

As for the users who want to build proprietary software with GCL, you
can add a clause to GCL's COPYING file, similar to the one in the CLISP
distribution:
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/clisp/clisp/COPYRIGHT?rev=HEAD>.

  This copyright does *not* cover user programs that run in CLISP and
  third-party packages not part of CLISP, if they only reference external
  symbols in CLISP's public packages (namely the packages COMMON-LISP,
  COMMON-LISP-USER, KEYWORD, EXT), i.e. if they don't rely on CLISP
  internals and would as well run in any other Common Lisp implementation.
  Such user programs are not covered by the term "derived work" used in
  the GNU GPL. Neither is their compiled code, i.e. the result of compiling
  them by use of the function COMPILE-FILE. We refer to such user programs
  as "independent work".

  You may copy and distribute memory image files generated by the
  function SAVEINITMEM, if it was generated only from CLISP and independent
  work, and provided that you accompany them, in the sense of section 3
  of the GNU GPL, with the source code of CLISP - precisely the same CLISP
  version that was used to build the memory image -, the source or compiled
  code of the user programs needed to rebuild the memory image (source
  code for all the parts that are not independent work, see above), and
  a precise description how to rebuild the memory image from these.

Could you please elaborate on the restrictions implied by LGPL section
6 to which you refer?

> > That having been said, I feel that, as long as the right to compile
> > proprietary programs is safeguarded, the decision ought to be a
> > strategic one made primarily by the FSF.  The code has copyright
> > comments throughout listing primarily Dr. Schelter as the copyright
> > holder, through a few other individuals are also named.  As the
> > primary author is deceased, it would make sense to take some steps
> > toward a transfer of the copyright to the FSF if this is at all
> > possible.  I don't know if anyone else can be guaranteed to be around
> > long enough to fulfill this role otherwise.
>
> You would have to talk to RMS about FSF accepting copyright assignment,
> and Dr. Schelter's heirs or assignees about assigning.

Unfortunately, there is very little chance I will have time for this,
so the current situation regarding copyright assignment is likely to
remain unchanged unless someone else volunteers.

Take care,