gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compliance with GNU GPL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [gnu.org #48656] Re: GCL compliance with GNU GPL
Date: 30 Jun 2003 21:47:15 -0400

Greetings, and thank you for your helpful input.

I just thought I'd take a quick moment to note down my recollection of
some of the GCL history in this regard.  This is just to my knowledge,
and may be incorrect in several places!  Dr. William Schelter worked
on GCL for many years before it had any sort of official FSF status --
at this time it was known as KCL and then AKCL.  It is also my
understanding that he knew and/or worked with RMS back in the
'original lisp' days at MIT.  At some point (1992?) he succeeded in
releasing the system under a new name, GCL, with a new license (LGPL),
and having it adopted as the official Common Lisp of the GNU system.
On his web pages, he emphasized the LGPL license as a strength,
protecting the code to the system itself while allowing proprietary
products to be developed with it.  I assume he and RMS agreed on this
at that point.  I believe it is RMS' position that the choice between
LGPL and GPL should be one of 'strategy' -- i.e. based on an
assessment of the comparative uniqueness of the functionality offered
-- and surmise that they decided that as the lisp world had gone
notoriously proprietary, LGPL was preferable.

In any case, Dr. Schelter helped a GCL user develop the readline hook
toward the end of his life.  The code was posted as a patch on one of
the mailing lists.  These bits and a few of the other last works of
Dr. Schelter were gathered together after his passing and folded into
the main source tree.  As no mention of any license implications
accompanied this patch (at least that I've seen), we accepted this
work on the strength of Dr. Schelter's relationship to the project.
Indeed, the first several months of GCL development were spent trying
to retrace his last steps, as some of the code is quite involved.  It
is possible however that the license implications of the readline
patch were never adequately considered due to Dr. Schelter's untimely
demise.

It appears we have several options:

1) remove or replace readline in GCL and keep the LGPL
2) make use of the clause you cite below for a multiple license
        strategy depending on whether readline is linked in.
3) make GCL GPL and add a note in the COPYING file allowing
        proprietary images built with proprietary standard common lisp
        code.

My first question is concerning the difference in practice between the
LGPL and the GPL with the clause as in 3).  Aren't they completely
equivalent?  It would not appear that option 3) would pose a
significant obstacle to anyone.

That having been said, I feel that, as long as the right to compile
proprietary programs is safeguarded, the decision ought to be a
strategic one made primarily by the FSF.  The code has copyright
comments throughout listing primarily Dr. Schelter as the copyright
holder, through a few other individuals are also named.  As the
primary author is deceased, it would make sense to take some steps
toward a transfer of the copyright to the FSF if this is at all
possible.  I don't know if anyone else can be guaranteed to be around
long enough to fulfill this role otherwise.

Anyway, these are just thoughts.  I'm no lawyer, and will be happy
with anything that keeps everyone else happy :-).

Take care,