gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Windows

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Windows
Date: 30 Jun 2003 10:50:42 -0400

Hello, all!  First and foremost, thanks to all on this list for your
contributiions to gcl!  Especially Mike Thomas for his dedication to
windows issues, and Paul for his ansi tests.

Despite these valiant efforts, I've recently been reminded of the fact
that our windows port lags in several respects behind the posix ports.
I must confess that I am so philosophically opposed to the entire
closed source paradigm that I would prefer to ignore windows entirely.
It does appear, however, that some lisp/gcl users are still stuck in
this world and would benefit from a more robust gcl port in this area.
There is no way that I will ever acquire my own windows machine, but
I'd like to repeat my earlier offer of working on the gcl windows port
if someone could provide remote ssh access.  There must be some way to
do this I'd think given all the cygwin stuff available.

I've also heard that there is a mingw emulator already packaged for
Debian.  I might be persuaded to look into this if someone in the know
can assure me that work done in this environment will be applicable to
the real windows/mingw environment.

Take care,