gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.5.3 is released

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.5.3 is released
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:59:45 -0700 (PDT)

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings, all!  I'm back from sabbatical.

Yay!

> Just released a minor bugfix in 2.5.3 which was exposed in Axiom
> development.  The news submission is below.
>
> Perhaps we could discuss some priorities for the "road ahead"?
> Feedback on 2.5.2?  I hope all users find it an improvement over the
> 2.4 series.

Very much so.  How road ahead are we talking?  There are some wishlist
things I've got, but I don't know how useful they are at this point:

1) Getting Garnet and CLX to run on GCL.  I'm not sure if Garnet not
working on GCL is Garnet's fault or GCLs, but it might be a nice goal
to have a working Garnet included with GCL at some point in the future.
 (It does currently work on Clisp 2.29 and CMUCL 18e.)  I guess McCLIM
would also be nice to add ;-).

2) Incorporating the new XREF functionality introduced into CMUCL into
GCL.  Don't know how difficult this is, but it would be a seriously
cool ability to add.

> Some things I have in the back of my mind:
> * ANSI

Yes, probably should be the number one priority.

> * Better libc dependence on ia64, eg. stack detection and gbc
> * floating point "quirks"
> * blas support, perhaps in compiler too

These sound good.

> * gcl as gcc frontend

Hmm - maybe this should be a lesser priority?  Should definitely wait
for ANSI compliance, IMHO.

> * axiom support

Yay :-).  Looking forward to the first public Axiom release.

> * cleaning

Always good.

CY