gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Cannot build

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Cannot build
Date: 27 Feb 2003 20:38:23 -0500

Greetings!

"Paul F. Dietz" <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Hi Paul!  OK, please try again.  Your C compiler does not appear to
> > like newlines in (doc) strings.
>
> Ok, that seems to have worked.  Thanks!
>
> BTW, what is your policy for checkins to the general gcl tree?  Do you
> want to receive patches and check them in yourself, or can I do it
> myself?  If the latter, what tests should I run before checkin?

In general, I'd like to have a relatively liberal policy to encourage
developers to become familiar with and contribute to GCL.  Not to
mention my opinion that GCL needs a vigorous *community* of developers
to thrive.

Of course, near a release, like now (before I branch CVS), everyone
should be very conservative.  Patch posting, as opposed to direct
checkin, is not necessary for veteran developers, but consultation on
changing the core files would be appreciated at such times.

Lastly, I'd like us each to kind of get a feel for our relative
expertise, and focus on those areas to avoid conflicting with each
other.  My rough idea is that you and Vadim are the lisp experts,
(Peter too if he ever wants to rejoin), Mike and David are the Windows
experts, and I'm the low-level C/portability guy.  Of course these are
just broad outlines -- anyone should feel free to work on anything
they like, but if more than one of us makes rapid changes to the same
code, we're going to be wasting effort.

Take care,