gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Test of new versions of Gcl for Windows

From: michel . lavaud
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Test of new versions of Gcl for Windows
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:06:22 +0100

Hello Mike,

I tested the 20030218 and 20030220 versions of Gcl for windows, and I met
some problems under Windows 98 :

- With 20030218 version, the file gcli.bat, used to run Gcl from the icon
on the desktop, is created incorrectly : the second line begins with "echo
start" instead of "start".

I think it is due to the fact that the file gclfinal.bat, that seems to
create gcli.bat, is written by the installer with lines ending with LF
only, instead of CR+LF. So, for the command.com, gclfinal.bat seems to
write only one long line containing the second "echo" with the first
"echo", instead of writing two lines with the two "echo".

After editing gcli.bat with Wordpad and deleting the spurious "echo", Gcl
can be run from the icon.

- With 20030220 version, the same occurs, but the same solution does not
allow to run Gcl, I obtain instead of Gcl prompt :

Error: Cannot get the truename of #p"C://Programs/GCL-2.5.0/lib/gcl-
2.5.0/unixport/".
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by SYSTEM::GCL-TOP-LEVEL.
Broken at SYSTEM::SET-UP-TOP-LEVEL.  Type :H for Help.

I noticed also there is only the info version of the documentation, which
is quite OK for Unix users but unusual for Windows users. I would suggest
to add also the html version of documentation, or adding a viewer of info
files for Windows ? Or maybe adding a few words recalling how to view the
info doc with Emacs (and a pointer to the Emacs for NT site) ?

Best wishes,

address@hidden
http://www.univ-orleans.fr/EXT/ASTEX
ftp://ftp.univ-orleans.fr/pub/tex/PC/AsTeX
liste de discussion: address@hidden
Abonnement à la liste: envoyer un message de contenu
"sub astex Nom Prenom Etablissement" à address@hidden