gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] [Fwd: Re: Itanium2 port??]

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] [Fwd: Re: Itanium2 port??]
Date: 09 Feb 2003 22:11:55 -0500

Greetings!

> >I wrote:
> >
> >> Ok... it should run on ia64 already then.  Go to
> >>
> >> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/cvs
> >>
> >> and get the appropriate .deb file.
>
>   It gets an immediate unrecoverable segmentation violation.

What box?  I'm almost sure that this must be an external dynamic
library mismatch.  I take it that this is not a Debian box.  (If it
were, the dependency information in the package should prevent this
type of problem).  On Debian, the gcl package is known to correctly
build both maxima and acl2 on ia64.  Try 'ldd unixport/saved_gcl'.  BTW,
the Debian package ships the traditional, not the ansi, image at
present, so you will have to recompile if you want the latter.   In a
few weeks time, the package should ship both images, as we are nearing
an official release of 2.5.0.

> >The one for ia64 seems to be very out of date, though.
> >You might try rebuilding from source.
> >
> >     Paul
>
>   gcc generates an unrecognized instruction for the return in
> num_log.c.

This is a well known (gcc) compiler bug on this platform, which is
worked-around in debian/rules.  Try 'debian/rules build' to build a
clean source tree.

Please let me know how it goes.

Take care,