gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] RE: GCL bugs (decode-float, rationalize, expt)

From: Mike Thomas
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] RE: GCL bugs (decode-float, rationalize, expt)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:48:01 +1000

Hi Camm.

| Hi Mike!  Thanks for this!  Just to comment that at present, the
| '-mcpu=i486 -march=i486' is not preventing any illegal ISA extensions
| from being compiled in, as gcc doesn't output them in any case.

Nothing like a little pointless endeavour.   I thought afterward that it
should really be a generalised name such as '--enable-common-binary' so that
other architectures can take advantage of it for their own particular needs.
I'll probably make it that way unless you object.

| don't know if this will slow down the code on a >=586 or not.

It will I think, but probably not in such a way that anyone will care.  If
the worst comes to the worst we can provide binaries built for other CPU's
at release time.

|  The
| gmp3 configure step does the heavy lifting, as gmp3 has hand coded
| *assember* routines which can use these instructions.

Yes, the 486 switch is passed to the GMP3 configure.  It saves having to do
a pre-configure as you were doing.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.