gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom progress

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom progress
Date: 13 Jan 2003 14:52:19 -0500

Greetings!

root <address@hidden> writes:

> The current state of the state is that I've got the interpreter
> running. There are still a few cleanup issues so that it builds
> correctly from the source tree and these involve the databases
> it uses, which involve the algebra.
>
> There are a large number of categories, domains, and packages in
> the system (over 1000) and I'm working out the lattice that
> determines what depends on what so the algebra can be built from
> the sources. It isn't really a lattice, however, as there are
> circular dependencies making parts of it a graph. Anyway, I've
> broken some of the cycles and have roughly 1/3 of the algebra
> compiled from scratch. More work needs to be done but progress
> is being made, albeit slower than I had hoped. I've lost the
> tools I had to do this and am favoring progress over
> tool-building so this is being done by hand. And I'm trying to
> document the pile as I touch it so you can understand how it
> all works.
>
> On a different front it appears that HP has a developer farm
> that will allow us to port to a large combination of hardware,
> OS, and software. I will shortly have access to their site.
> Check out www.testdrive.hp.com if you're interested in trying
> to port Axiom to all kinds of environments including, if you're
> up for a challenge, the DL590 64-bit Itanium boxes. Porting will
> involve intimate knowledge of the underlying lisp (and its
> underlying C) so choose your poison carefully. I hope to see
> CCL, GCL, and CMUCL available.

I would also suggest that the Debian autobuilders would provide a good
portability test bed.  Currently, gcl carries maxima and acl2 via
Debian to x86, powerpc, sparc, mips, mipsel, m68k, arm, s390, alpha,
ia64, and hppa.  In addition, sparc solaris and windows/mingw are
likewise supported but outside this infrastructure.  The solaris
binary is autobuilt on a private machine to synchronize with the
Debian package.  Windows/mingw CVS binaries are also made available at
a similar schedule.

My intention is to package axiom for Debian whenever it is deemed
advisable.  If all goes according to plan, ports the above
architectures will be synchronously supported via GCL.

Take care,