gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Help on maxima cross-compile

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: Help on maxima cross-compile
Date: 09 Jan 2003 21:07:26 -0500

Greetings!

Mario Giammarco <address@hidden> writes:

> Il lun, 2003-01-06 alle 18:12, Camm Maguire ha scritto:
> > Greetings!  Good to hear of your plans.
> >
> > To my understanding, you will pretty much have to use GCL to get
> > maxima running on mips at present.  Under Debian, gcl/maxima is fully
> > supported and passes all tests, at least on top of gcc.   I'd try
> > something like the following with your new compiler:
> >
> > 1) export CC=<your cc>
> > 2) apt-get -q source gcl (put unstable in your apt sources.list)
> > 3) cd gcl-2.5.0.cvs20020625
> > 3.5) apt-get -q install libgmp3-dev
> > 4) ./configure --enable-dynsysgmp --disable-statsysbfd --enable-dlopen
> >     (--enable-debug, if you want)
> > 5) make
> > 6) cd ..
> >
> > -- for current "stable" maxima
> >
> > 7) apt-get -q source maxima
> > 8) cd maxima-5.6b
> > 9) edit configure, set GCLDIR to $(pwd)/../gcl-2.5.0.cvs20020625
> > 11) ./configure
> > 12) make
> > 13) make test
> >

> > Good luck, and please drop us a line to let us know how its going.
>
> Hello,
> I am having some problems in compiling.
> But I suppose I have a bigger "logical" problem.
> I try to explain myself better: the agenda vr3 pda does not have a
> native compiler. So I use my x86 linux box to CROSS COMPILE software and
> generate software for mips architecture.
> So if I am thinking right I need to create an x86 executable of gcl
> compiler that can be used to produce a mips executable of maxima.
> I hope you can continue helping me, I need very much a pocket symbolic
> calculator!

I believe you will run into some problems when cross-compiling.  You
can compile all the objects just fine by pointing gcl at your gcc
cross compiler.  But part of gcl's build, and maxima's, entails
so you would at least need a mips emulator, which I doubt exists.
Your best bet I'd think would be to setup your pda to mount a larger
filesystem via nfs from another box, with a true mips development
environment installed.  Compile there, and your pda should be able to
run the produced executable.

Take care,