gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] RE: GCL bugs (decode-float, rationalize, expt)

From: Stavros Macrakis
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] RE: GCL bugs (decode-float, rationalize, expt)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 08:27:16 -0500

Camm,

That was a quick fix!  Thanks!  What turned out to be the problem?

> ;; although the following is correct code in that it approximates the
> ;; x to within eps, it does not preserve (eql (float (rationalize x)
x) x)
> ;; since the test for eql is more strict than the float-epsilon

I agree that the spec for rationalize is ambiguous, and making it behave
better is not high priority.  But the comment in numlib.lsp doesn't make
sense, because (float (rationalize x)) should be *precisely* equal to
x -- I'm afraid I can't look at the code in more detail right now.
Anyway, this is not a high priority.

Thanks again!

      -s