gcl-devel

Re: What is GCL about? was Re: [Gcl-devel] numerical quirks

From: Peter Wood
Subject: Re: What is GCL about? was Re: [Gcl-devel] numerical quirks
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:04:09 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:21:08PM -0500, Camm Maguire wrote:

> 1) We should import existing ansi lisp code/other high quality base
>    lisp code wherever possible.  We're better off leveraging our
>    currently limited human resources in our unique strengths rather
>    than playing a late uphill catch-up game on the compliance front.
>    This is *not* to say that compliance is not essential, --it
>    absolutely is-- (and we're making encouraging progress!), but
>    rather we should avoid reinventing the wheel and simply include
>    relevant code from Clisp/CMUCL to achieve compliance in the most
>    efficient manner possible.

This approach works in some cases.  Its' useless when the changes
require doing something to GCL's base c code.

I like the wheels on my car to all be round, and preferably, roughly
the same size.

I am going to be working on my own version of GCL.  I may or may not
release it if it proves viable.

Regards,
Peter