gcl-devel

Re: What is GCL about? was Re: [Gcl-devel] numerical quirks

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: What is GCL about? was Re: [Gcl-devel] numerical quirks
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:00:28 -0600

Camm Maguire wrote:

By the way, although detailed performance analysis is still a ways
off, my first impression is that memory layout is the bottleneck on
modern systems.  Is anyone aware of algorithms to group conses onto
pages to minimize the number of links across page boundaries?

Minimizing the number of links is hard, but typically you get
good locality by having a copying compacting garbage collector.  Lists
tend to get copied together into nearby memory locations.  You can
even exploit this to do prefetches under the assumption that
successive cons cells of a list are laid out consecutively.

You might try moving stuff you know is not going to be referenced
much (for example, documentation strings) off into a separate area
of memory.

> Sounds
like an NP complete traveling salesman problem.  In any case, this is
where image size still matters, IMHO, not in the lack of available
system memory.  I've committed a few patches to the maxima tree to
enable building with our ansi image, and it is significantly slower in
running 'make check'.  Likewise, Clisp, which produces an apparently
much smaller maxima image (rss size), performs about as fast as GCL on
'make check' even though it has no native code capability.  I hope we
can find time to look into these issues soon.

One source of slowness may be some of the algorithms.  I notice many
of the sequence functions run in O(n^2) time on lists.  We'd also
benefit from having compiler macros to implement special cases (for
example: (ASSOC ... ... :TEST #'EQ), (MAPCAR #'(LAMBDA (X) ...) ...),
(MEMBER ... ... :TEST #'EQ), etc.)

Do you have any more detailed profile of where the time and space
are going?

        Paul