gcl-devel

Re: address@hidden: Re: [Gcl-devel] apparent GCL 2.5.0 bug on Redhat 7.3

From: C Y
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Gcl-devel] apparent GCL 2.5.0 bug on Redhat 7.3]
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 08:31:18 -0800 (PST)

--- Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> My machine runs Redhat 7.3, and in fact gcc 2.96.  I'd replace it
> with 2.95, but I really am a novice maintaining my Linux box and I am

> nervous about trying to install gcc 2.95 from a tar file (and I
didn't
> find an rpm for it).

It's not actually all that hard - I've done it on a Redhat box before.
You just decompress and expand the tar file, make a separate build
directory, run configure from that build directory (NOT in the
directory that you decompressed the tarball to), and make.  Then as
root do make install.  So it goes something like this (note this is
from memory - I haven't done it in awhile):

tar -xvzf gcc-2.95.4.tar.gz
mkdir gccbuild
cd gccbuild
../gcc-2.95.4/configure {add any options you want/need here}
make
{wait a rather long time}
su
[password]
rpm -e gcc
make install

Note - you don't remove your old gcc until the new one is built - I was
silly and made that mistake one.  if your prefix is /usr/local it's
probably better - otherwise make install might overwrite rpm files
which will then get removed when you remove the rpm.  I think I went
ahead and installed with prefix /usr (run configure with the option
--prefix=/usr)since in my expereince on Redhat it made things simpler
for future use, but if you do that you need to be sure to remove the
rpm before running make install, to avoid the rpm command grabbing
files from your build.  If you forget and this does happen, just run
make install again.

> So I'm happy to drop this issue.  For what it's worth, here is a log
> showing
> the problem I had installing the rpm I I just downloaded at
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcl/cvs/gcl-2.5.0.cvs20020625-65.i386.rpm:
>
>   address@hidden temp]$ su root
>   Password:
>
>   address@hidden temp]# pwd
>   /home/kaufmann/temp
>   address@hidden temp]# rpm --install
> gcl-2.5.0.cvs20020625-65.i386.rpm
>   error: failed dependencies:
>         libtcl8.3.so.1   is needed by gcl-2.5.0.cvs20020625-65
>         libtk8.3.so.1   is needed by gcl-2.5.0.cvs20020625-65
>   address@hidden temp]#
>
> I didn't see these so.1 files at redhat.com but I'm not sure I'd know
> what to do with them anyhow.

This looks like an indication that you don't have tcl8.3 and tk8.3
installed - you probably have an older version.  If not, check to see
if these files or similar ones are in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib.  If
they are, the you can force the install and not worry.  You might get
away with it anyway, since as far as I know no one is actually using
the tcl bindings for anything yet, but to be sure you can check for
those files.  (Note - I don't know how "approved" this trick is, but if
you have a library similar to the ones it's looking for (eg
libtcl.8.3.so), you can make a soft link from the file that does exist
the the name of the one gcl is looking for, then force the rpm install.
 This is how I got blender to work on a machine I had that was lacking
the exact library I needed but had something similar.  Be warned,
however - if it's not the actual library gcl wants, crashes may result
if it tries to call something which should be in the library and isn't.
 In this case I doubt it matters much.)

CY