gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Install failure

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Install failure
Date: 10 Oct 2002 11:25:31 -0400

Greetings!  OK, I've committed a fix to the makefile.  Mike, I think
this issue was introduced in one of your last mods.  I altered these
in a way which I hope will still achieve what you were intending.
Please let me know if not.

1) We need to prepend, instead of overwrite, the environment variable
   C_INCLUDE_PATH in the shell script wrapper 'gcl'.
2) The ${} or $() syntax specifies make variables, but variables set
   in the *commands* section of a makefile rule are *shell*
   environment variables.  These won't appear in subsequent nested
   invocations of make, or even in the current invocation, but rather
   just on the command line in which they are defined.  Each line
   executes in its own subshell.
3) For clarity, I'd like to propose a mini-standardization -- $(foo) for
   make variables, $$foo for shell variables.  ${} and $${} are too
   easy to confuse.
4) Needless to say, the makefile is an ugly disaster, and hopefully
   we'll find time to clean it up soon.

Take care,