gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: GCL installation issue

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL installation issue
Date: 07 Oct 2002 10:44:12 -0400

Greetings!

Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi --
>
> I apologize in advance if there is somewhere else I should send this email.
> I went to http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/gcl.html and
> http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/wfs/pub/gcl/ but didn't see any sort of FAQ or
> email list or newsgraoup for obtaining GCL help.  (Is there such a place?)

No apologies necessary!  We've been needing to clean up our website
for some time.  Volunteers?

> I've recently gotten Redhat Linux 7.3 on my laptop.  I also obtained
> gcl-2.5.0.  But when I tried to install it, I got this error:
>
>  address@hidden apps]# rpm -ivh gcl-2.5.0.cvs20020625-54.i386.rpm
>  error: failed dependencies:
>        libtcl8.2.so.1   is needed by gcl-2.5.0.cvs20020625-54
>        libtk8.2.so.1   is needed by gcl-2.5.0.cvs20020625-54
>
> Apparently Redhat 7.3 comes with newer versions of these libraries.  I'm quite
> ignorant about such matters.  I thought that maybe all I would need to do is
> create soft links, but as you can see below, that didn't work.  Any
> suggestions
> would be much appreciated.  It would be great to be able to release a new ACL2
> image built on GCL/Redhat.

tk8.2 is indeed not binary compatible with tk8.3.  On Debian one can
install both libraries on the system without interference.  I know
this is possible on Redhat too, though they might not provide tk8.2
binary packages.  In case they do, please try installing and seeing if
my rpm works -- its just generated from the .deb via alien.  If tk8.2
is not an option, you can of course rebuild on the box in question.
You can disable the tk entirely (I think) with --disable-tkconfig.
Check out ./configure --help.

In any case, there is no need for us not to use the latest tk.  I'll
try to make the next set of binaries use 8.3

Beyond this, we are in great need, IMHO, to come up with a general
scheme for using 3rd party libraries.  readline, gmp, bfd, and tk are
already in -- mpi, blas, and lapack are straightforward additions.  I
think we need modules which one can (load in such a fashion as to
simultaneously dlopen the shared lib.  I'm thinking along the lines of
adding an indicator at the end of each .o, much like the .data
information currently there, specifying which libraries are
referenced.  Then before fasloading, one will dlopen the lib, and add
its symbols to the bfd hash table to handle the module's relocations.
Saving the image will then (I hope) show a permanent dynamic link to
the newly accessed lib with the module image stored in the lisp core.
Using the alternate LINK method, one can easily make such a new image
from within lisp, but then one has the inconvenience of stopping and
restarting the image.  Thoughts/discussion welcome.