gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] character == base-char == standard-char

From: Paul Dietz
Subject: [Gcl-devel] character == base-char == standard-char
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 13:57:03 -0500

Camm Maguire wrote:

> Fixed, but perhaps more work is needed here.  The way I read the spec,
> one can define character == base-char == standard-char.  I don't think
> we're at the point yet of supporting extended characters, so I'd like
> to do this if possible, at least for now.   So my understanding is
> that with this definition, the :element-type keyword can be ignored.
> I mean other than checking that its some sort of character and
> complaining otherwise (which I haven't done yet).  The internal C
> representation of a string has no field (yet) to hold an element-type,
> though this could be added if really necessary.

Actually, no, one cannot define standard-char to be equal to the
others unless the others also contain only the 96 standard characters.

What you can do is define base-char == character.  Base-char is
defined to be the upgraded array element type of standard-char,
so this would make vectors with these element types all be the
same kind of arrays.

        Paul