gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] 5.9.0 release candidate 1

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] 5.9.0 release candidate 1
Date: 04 Sep 2002 11:34:37 -0400

James Amundson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 09:13, Stephen Leake wrote:
> > "Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > I have a fix for this and hope to check it into GCL CVS this evening.
> >
> > If the released Maxima can only build cleanly with the CVS GCL, then
> > we need to bundle a GCL patch with the Maxima release, so that people
> > can build the released Maxima with a released GCL.
>
> Maxima should build under windows and either clisp 2.29 or gcl 2.4.3. If
> gcl works, maxima should work. The current gcl cvs should work, also,
> but I haven't tried it.
>
> I was able to get gcl 2.4.3 to work using cygwin, mingw and the notes
> that came with gcl. I am *not* the person to ask about it, however -- I
> really didn't know what I was doing. Mike is doing a better job of
> explaining.

The current notes for gcl 2.4.3 include things like "edit configure".
This is _not_ what I mean by a "clean build". These edits should be
provided in a patch, instead.

Some of the edits are just to build gcl under Windows. Those should
properly be handled by a new gcl release, but there's nothing wrong
with including them in a Maxima release. Others appear to be required
for the latest Maxima; those should definitely be included with a
Maxima release.

--
-- Stephe