gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] 5.9.0 release very close

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] 5.9.0 release very close
Date: 16 Aug 2002 18:14:43 -0400

Greetings!  No objections, rather congratulations!  Somewhere in the
back of my mind I envisioned synchronizing the next gcl release with
this maxima release, though I suppose its not really necessary.

1) Would such a synchronization be desirable?
2) The only issues of which I am aware regard the new build system,
   which I believe relies on the lisp system's 'save-system' call or
   analogous to do the final link of the compiled objects into the
   resulting executable.  The old system used the system linker ('ld')
   for this step, to avoid breaking builds on platforms for which gcl
   could not relocate object code by itself.  Gcl is in the process of
   implementing  native relocation on all supported platforms, but as
   of this time, i386 coff, (e.g. Windows), mips, alpha, ia64, and
   hppa do not have this functionality.  Can one use ld with the new
   build system?

Take care,