gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Does the --enable-ansi config option work?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Does the --enable-ansi config option work?
Date: 06 Aug 2002 10:48:07 -0400

Greetings!

Yes, thanks for pointing this out!  This is our first example of a
'gotcha' with dlopen.  In general, one cannot build images which load
.o files and save them with save-system when using dlopen.  Instead,
one compiles the .o files, and uses the system linker (ld or gcc) to
link the final image.  Its just an extra step, as far as I can see,
but conventional lisp usage often invokes the save-system apparently.

As of this point, there are a few architectures which *must* use
dlopen, and therefore cannot build the ansi image as currently
compiled.  So we either have to make a relatively simple change to the
pcl and clcs makefiles to use ld in (likely) all cases for simplicity,
or generate the bfd patches for these other architectures so that they
can relocate objects without dlopen.  I'd prefer the latter, but we
shall see if it proves too much work.

BTW, I'm under the impression that Windows still has full
functionality in this regard, as it apparently is able to use the
relocation code in sfasl.c, which refers to a relocate() function
provided in rel_coff.c.  So this should not explain Mike's difficulty
with the ansi build on Windows.  BTW, what is the status here?