gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] ECLS/GCL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] ECLS/GCL
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:05:33 -0400

Greetings!  Please let me introduce myself -- I've recently
volunteered to maintain GCL.

We were discussing on the gcl-devel list the possibility of merging
with ECLS.  As many of us are still quite new to the project, we don't
know exactly how feasible this would be, nor what it precisely
entails, but we thought it worth exploring, given the common origins
of gcl and ecls in akcl.  The near ansi-compliance, the small memory
footprint, the modular design, and the fluid external C interface
apparently already achieved in ecls are all goals of the gcl project.
Of course, we need to retain the ability to fulfill the current
principle use of gcl, that of building maxima.  I've just barely
glanced at ecls, but it appears to use dlopen for fasloading, which I
thought Schelter had said made it impossible to save images with
loaded .o files.  I could easily be mistaken on this, but in either
case would greatly appreciate your comments as to the feasibility and
desirability of such a merge.

Thanks!