gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Building without compiling

From: James Amundson
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Building without compiling
Date: 06 Jun 2002 08:39:03 -0500

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 19:28, Camm Maguire wrote:
> Greetings!  For the purposes of troubleshooting/debugging, is there
> anyway to build maxima without compiling the lisp into .o, but rather
> just loading the code into the interpreter and running a slow 'make
> test'?

Yes and no. You can easily ask defsystem to just load your system
instead of compiling it. From the maxima/src directory:

|abacus>gcl
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  Version(2.5.0) Tue Mar 26 12:27:54 CST 2002
Licensed under GNU Library General Public License
Contains Enhancements by W. Schelter

>(load "../lisp-utils/defsystem.lisp")

Warning: REQUIRE is being redefined.
Finished loading ../lisp-utils/defsystem.lisp

>(setq mk::*load-source-instead-of-binary* t)

>(mk:operate-on-system "maxima" :load :verbose t)

The resulting operation will go on for a while, then fail:

Error: The function MAKE-UNSPECIAL is undefined.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by PROGN.
Broken at PROGN.  Type :H for Help.
MAXIMA>>

The use of (eval-when ...) in the code implies that modifying maxima to
load without compiling could be complicated. I think you would be better
off loading single files you might be interested in instead of trying to
avoid compiling the entire system.

> Preferably with maxima-5.6?

I am of no help for earlier versions of maxima.

--Jim