gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Bugs in gcl cause maxima build failures

From: James Amundson
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Bugs in gcl cause maxima build failures
Date: 03 May 2002 09:00:37 -0500

On Fri, 2002-05-03 at 07:50, Raymond Toy wrote:

>     James> bomb at run time because gcl doesn't have ARRAY-DISPLACEMENT. Any
>     James> thoughts on a workaround for that?
>
> I assume gcl supports displaced arrays since there weren't any
> complaints about that.

Yes. I even broke down and read the manual to make sure displaced arrays
are supported. It begs the question "How can you support displaced
arrays, but not have array-displacement?" The equivalent functionality
must be available in another form, but I have yet to figure out what it
could be.

> I see 2 options: (1) write our own for gcl, (2) see if slatec really
> needs support for displaced arrays.  Option 2 will, I think, force me
> to modify f2cl not to use the array-displacement stuff when displaced
> arrays aren't used.  Something I should do anyway, but will take time.

I always vote for modifying the code in maxima is little as possible.
I'm sure we can come up with a gcl replacement for array-displacement.

--Jim