gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: solve test bug on GCL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: solve test bug on GCL
Date: 21 Mar 2002 12:00:12 -0500

Greetings!

"Vadim V. Zhytnikov" <address@hidden> writes:

> Some more facts about the problem I was able
> to get lately:
>
> 1) The problem is not due to recent solve changes.
> It exists with older solve as well. I'm not surprised but
> I verified it explicitly.
>
> 2) The problem is not due to recent GCL updates.
> It shows up both with GCL 2.5.0 (latest CVS) and
> old GCL 2.3.8.
>
> 3) When I start tracing some functions (using lisp's trace)
> in which error occurs the problem magically disappears!
> This is very bad and makes detection of  the problem's
> origin rather hard. Something really nasty is
> happening to variables binding.

Yes, please see my other post about similar mysterious behavior which
I feel arises from the same malady.  to this list, I might also add
again the note that certain catastrophic problems on m68k Linux were
due to missing casts in the function call pointer routines.

This is making me conclude that we are ready for a straightforward but
tedious task for reworking all of the C files to compile with no
warnings under -Wall.  A useful tool for this is protoize, for those
who might not be aware.  at the same time, we ought to modernize the
varargs paramters specifications, and use ansi C function
declarations.  We probably will also have to make minor modifications
to the lisp compiler to get the generated C code it produces into the
same form.

Any suggestions as to how to organize this task is appreciated.  I
feel very comfortable with plodding along in this direction, but as by
now is obvious, my time is limited, and it will take a considerable
amount of time.  I hope to be able to clear a day for gcl by sometime
next week.

Take care,