gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] destructuring-bind

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] destructuring-bind
Date: 17 Jan 2002 17:09:16 -0500

Greetings!  Well, I've gotten the following working crudely:

1) took destructuring-bind stuff from maxima's ellipt.lisp
2) added a few missing items from cmulisp
3) compiled into a fasl file
4) made the maxima init.lisp load the fasl file
5) compilation of maxima with new ellipt.lisp (minus
   destructuring-bind stuff) works

I've also tried getting a line into auto.lsp to have the fasl object
loaded on demand.  For some reason, this only is working with symbols
in the (si:: ... ) package, but I think I can figure that one out.

What I'm really confused about is getting new lisp functions into the
system at build time, as this one should optimally be.  (I.e. it
shouldn't be a gcl option).  The steps here are

1) alter unixport/sys_gcl.c to init_or_load the new file
2) alter unixport/makefile to link object into raw_gcl.

This gives a memory error when destructuring-bind is invoked.

Looking a bit more carefully, and keeping the c,h,and data files from
the compilation (options :c-file, etc. to compile-file), I noticed
that the produced c file is somewhat different from the other c files
apparently compiled from lisp in the lsp directoy.

1) The #include "cmpinclude.h" is replaced with the actual file
   inlined
2) init_<filename> -> init_code
3) declarations at bottom have return types indicated in some
   instances, and make use of call_proc, and occasionally va_lists.

I tried modifying the c file by hand, particularly making the
init_code -> init_destructuring_bind, but I still get an error.  It
would appear that either the compiler has a switch somewhere for
system vs. fasl output, or that the c files in lsp/ were modified by
hand as I attempted.

Any insights or suggestions from cogno scenti most appreciated!