gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] libbfd now in 2.5.0

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] libbfd now in 2.5.0
Date: 07 Jan 2002 23:22:22 -0500

Greetings, all!  Just a heads up that preliminary support for libbfd
portable relocations is in 2.5.0.  Right now, its a compile time
option depending on your having binutils-dev available, and is
introduced through sfaslelf.c for 32-bit elf.  Eventually I'd like to
have it used as a separate fasl file for 32-bit and 64-bit elf and
coff, all of which are supported by the lib.  I think these are the
only binary formats we'll ever have to support.  So please try it out,
as I'm hoping it will be ubiquitous.

I took a hint from the comments in sfasl.c, and made a few changes to
get sfaslelf.c to compile as a stand-alone program, in order to
facilitate debugging by comparing its output with that of ld.  Here is
how it works at present:

cc -DSTAND -DDEBUG -I../h sfaslelf.c -o sfoo
./sfoo ../lsp/????.o ../unixport/raw_gcl ../unixport/
ld ../lsp/???.o -R ../unixport/raw_gcl -o foo
diff <(objdump -d /tmp/sfasltest) <(objdump -d foo)

Unfortunately, the outputs aren't identical, as all the ld relocs are
absolute, and some of the sfaslelf ones are relative.  Hopefully this
will improve further.

I'm confirming now that 2.5.0 does a maxima 'make test' without error
on glibc 2.1 and 2.2.4 machines.

On a separate note, we might consider cutting a 2.4.1 release soon.
It would be nice to get the cygwin in here.  All those with such
machines are encouraged to try the gnuwin95.h file I posted earlier.
If we can't get the windows without a lot more work, then we'll
probably do a 2.4.1 with the fixes we have first.  This should cover
pretty much all x386 elf unix-like OSes, I'm hoping, and would still
represent some reaonable progress.

Take care,