gchemutils-main

[Gchemutils-main] About the database

From: Kostantino
Subject: [Gchemutils-main] About the database
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:41:08 +0200

Ok guys: I think there are too many databases and their recall each other is a waste of time.
Clearly: it's not my cup of tea....
I don't want be boring repeting always the same thing but a single file for each element is, at the moment, the best solution I can imagine. Let's think to a periodic table: I push the H button and I recall the file for hydrogen. In this file I have all the information I wrote in.
Where is this file? It's in .../gnome-chemistry-utils-xxxx/elements/
of the source package. It's named H.xml or H.what_ever_you_like.
After compilation, the directory /elements is copied somewhere else ie, for example: /usr/local/gchemutils/elements. Every other program of the group whatches inside this directory to take the informations it needs about an element. I'm agree that this point of view could force to re-write all the programs, perhaps in a drastic way but I'm still convinced that it's a right idea.
Unfortunatly I'm not a programmer and I can't prove this.

Now I esplain why I wrote in that way the file I send you, Jean.
I copied it. Simply.
Let's see this piece of file, from the network database of Guarddog, a firewall interface based on IPTables (find it at
http://www.simonezone.com):

<protocol name="ftp">
  <longname>FTP - File Transfer Protocol</longname>
  <longname lang="de">FTP - File Transfer Protocol</longname>
  <longname lang="nl">FTP - File Transfer Protocol</longname>
  <longname lang="fr">FTP - Protocole de transfert de fichier</longname>
<longname lang="it">FTP - Protocollo di Trasferimento File (File Transfer Protocol)</longname> <description>Very common protocol used to transfer files on one computer to
  or from another computer across the network.</description>
<description lang="de">Verbreitetes Protokoll zur Übertragung von Dateien zwischen
  Rechnern in einem Netzwerk.</description>
  <description lang="nl">Zeer verbreid protocol dat wordt gebruikt voor
  bestandsoverdrachten tussen twee computers over een netwerk</description>
<description lang="fr">Protocole extrêmement usuel pour transférer par le réseau des fichiers d'un ordinateur vers (ou depuis) un autre ordinateur.</description> <description lang="it">Protocollo molto comune usato per trasferire file da un computer
  ad un altro attraverso una rete.</description>
  <classification class="file"/>
  <pragma name="guarddog">ip_conntrack_ftp</pragma>
  <network>
    <tcp source="client" dest="server">
      <description>Control connection</description>
      <description lang="de">Steuerungsverbindung</description>
      <description lang="nl">Sturingsverbinding</description>
      <description lang="fr">Connexion de contrôle</description>
      <description lang="it">Controllo connessione</description>
    </tcp>
    <tcp source="server" dest="client">
      <description>Data connection</description>
      <description lang="de">Datenverbindung</description>
      <description lang="nl">Dataverbinding</description>
      <description lang="fr">Connexion de données</description>
      <description lang="it">Connessione dati</description>
      <pragma name="guarddog">RELATED</pragma>
    </tcp>
    <tcp source="client" dest="server">
      <description>Data connection passive mode</description>
      <description lang="de">Datenverbindung passiver Modus</description>
      <description lang="nl">Dataverbinding passieve modus</description>
<description lang="fr">Connexion de données en mode passif</description> <description lang="it">Modo passivo della connessione dati</description>
      <pragma name="guarddog">RELATED</pragma>
    </tcp>
  </network>
  <security threat="medium" falsepos="low"/>
  <reference href="http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html";>
  FAQ: Firewall Forensics (What am I seeing?)</reference>
</protocol>

Sorry for this long dissertation but....
In this case there is a mechanism who recals the information from *only one* database and not from several at the same time (!!!!).
Why we can't have the same solution?
Let's use gchemutils as "libraries and data" base and the other two programs for a different aim.
Ok. That all for the moment.
Anyway: I'm not a programmer but only a (not so good) translator.
I want to improve this project, in a way or in the other.

  bie bie

Costantino