[Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 21 May "QEMU: Virtualisat

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 21 May "QEMU: Virtualisation intro, use and advanced"
Date: Sun, 26 May 2019 14:37:44 +0100

On 14/05/2019 08:35, Michael Dorrington wrote:
> Please forward this notice to those that would welcome it.
>
> You can subscribe to the Manchester Free Software mailing list at:
>
> * Event: Manchester Free Software's May Meeting

At the meeting everyone, including me, learnt something.

Using virt-manager (aka Virtual Machine Manager), and so libvirtd
(libvirt daemon), is definitely the way to go.  The package description
of virt-manager on Debian hasn't kept up with its progress, it's great!
 Thanks to Alick for letting us know about this.

Advanced networking is also relatively easy using virt-manager.  Even
bridged type networking doesn't look too bad.  Perhaps Alick or others
could comment on this.

Virt-manager can do the accelerated graphics I demonstrated and is much
faster than when I used the QEMU GUI.  In virt-manager for Video
hardware choose Model: Virtio and tick "3D acceleration"; for Display
choose Type: Spice server, Listen type: None, tick OpenGL.  I still had
issues with the pointing device in games, removing tablet device helped
but then seem to have a mouse bounding box issue.  Anyone know about this?

Virt-manager, by default, creates a "Channel qemu-ga".  This can be used
to communicate with `qemu-guest-agent` inside the guest.

Virt-manager can also manage Linux Containers (LXC).  We're considering
doing next month's meeting on that.  What are you thoughts on this?

M.

--
FSF member #9429
http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=9429