Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 16 Oct. "Games. Secur

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 16 Oct. "Games. Security round-up. LVM. Vim."
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 11:00:08 +0100

On 21/10/2018 12:23, Michael Dorrington wrote:
> On 11/10/2018 09:05, Michael Dorrington wrote:
>> Please forward this notice to those that would welcome it.
>>
>> You can subscribe to the Manchester Free Software mailing list at:
>>
>> * Event: Manchester Free Software's October Meeting
>>
>> * 45 minute slot: Free Software games

Coincidently, it was (possibly) the 60th anniversary of computer games:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/22/tennis_for_two_at_60/

An equivalent is GNU "Ball and Paddle":
https://www.gnu.org/software/ballandpaddle/
This doesn't look to be in distros though.
Exercise: Check if GNU Ball and Paddle is in your distro.
Extra credit: Download, compile and run GNU Ball and Paddle.

Next month's talk (Tuesday, 20th November) will be on the National Cyber
Security Centre's "EUD Security Guidance: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS":
https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/eud-security-guidance-ubuntu-1804-lts
We won't use Ubuntu but Debian or Debian-based distro that isn't Ubuntu.

This topic will take 2 meetings to do it justice.  We'll probably take
the 45 minute slots for AppArmor one month and IPSec/VPN another month.
 And use the 15 minute slots for the smaller bit such as securing GRUB
and auditd.  We've done "Use LUKS/dm-crypt to provide full volume
encryption." already so don't need to do that again.

Related links:

*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Cyber_Security_Centre_(United_Kingdom)
* https://packages.debian.org/auditd