[Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Today, against DRM - Take action from the comfort

From: John Rooke
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Fwd: Today, against DRM - Take action from the comfort of your own home!
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2017 17:31:42 +0100

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Today, against DRM
Date:   Sun, 09 Jul 2017 05:47:38 -0400
From:   Zak Rogoff, FSF <address@hidden>
To:     John Rooke <address@hidden>

Free Software Foundation

Dear John Rooke,

Digital Restrictions Management
<https://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm_digital_restrictions_management>.
DRM. the software that comes bolted to your digital media and
computerized devices and tries to police your behavior. The major media
companies are its masters, and they justify it as a necessary evil to
prevent filesharing, calling it Digital Rights Management. But it does
more than that, and worse than that. Giving its owners power over our
cars, medical devices, phones, computers, and more, it opens a deep
crack in our digital rights and freedoms. That crack will only get wider
and more dangerous as our societies continue to interweave with technology.

Governments and corporations steer the massive technosocial system that
perpetuates DRM and makes it profitable, often opposing the interests of
the technology's actual users. Committed to a more just and equal
technological future, our movement pushes back.

In addition to our ongoing efforts, we're launching a new campaign
today. Its goal is to make Netflix begin releasing its Web traffic from
unnecessary and user-hostile DRM. Netflix accounts for more than half of
peak traffic in some countries -- we have to do this if we are going to
move beyond DRM as a society.

Today, is the International Day Against DRM, and like-minded people
around the world are standing up for their digital rights. Will you join
them?

*Take action now on DayAgainstDRM.org. <https://www.dayagainstdrm.org>*

One last thing -- Defective by Design is powered by individual donations
from people like you. If you can, please pitch in to support us
<https://www.fsf.org/donate> so that our year-round work and next year's
Day can be even better.

Zak Rogoff & Molly de Blanc
Campaigns Managers

/Read online:
https://defectivebydesign.org/2017-dayagainstdrm-call-to-action./

/The image <https://static.fsf.org/nosvn/dbd/idad-hero-2017.png> is by
Kori Feener and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike
4.0 International License
<https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/>./

Follow us on GNU social <https://status.fsf.org/fsf> | Subscribe to our
blogs via RSS <https://fsf.org/blogs/RSS> | Join us as an associate
member <https://www.fsf.org/jf>

Sent from the Free Software Foundation,

51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor
Boston, Massachusetts 02110-1335
UNITED STATES

Unsubscribe
<https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=152162&qid=26720490&h=039a7afe016d57ca>
from this mailing list.

Stop all email
<https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=152162&qid=26720490&h=039a7afe016d57ca>
from the Free Software Foundation, including Defective by Design, and
the Free Software Supporter newsletter.

--
*Greater Manchester Trade Action Network *

https://tradeactionblog.wordpress.com/

*Stop the Corporate Takeover *