[Fsuk-manchester] Minifree Libreboot T400 back, at severely reduced pric

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Minifree Libreboot T400 back, at severely reduced price. FSF RYF endorsed
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 14:12:32 +0100

Hi all,

Libreboot is a completely free (as in freedom) BIOS/UEFI replacement,
with full source code. It is endorsed by FSF; it is also currently
attempting to re-join the GNU project as a member (it was briefly a
member, but left; leaving was a mistake, so we are attempting to re-join
):
* https://libreboot.org/news/proposal-rejoin-gnu.html
* https://libreboot.org/news/formalised-structure.html

The Libreboot T400 laptop from Minifree has been endorsed by the FSF
under their Respects Your Freedom certification for several years now.

Libreboot very recently ended all hostilities towards GNU and FSF, and
is now actively working with them again, productively as before. The
news about that is here:
https://libreboot.org/news/unity.html

Part of this involved Minifree bringing back the FSF RYF endorsed
Libreboot T400 with Trisquel GNU+Linux preinstalled.

In an effort to bring about more Libreboot users into the free
software community, I identified that "afford-ability" is a key issue.
People want Libreboot, but most people can't install it themselves.

The old price on minifree.org for the T400 was around 398 GBP. The
price now is 248 EUR, and will likely remain there (and possibly lower
even more, in the future). This is already having positive effects.

The link is here:
https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-t400/

I'm wondering; could your organizations cover news about Minifree's
newly reduced-price Libreboot T400?

NOTE: The FSF's website lists Minifree Libreboot T400 as discontinued;
it's no longer discontinued. I've asked FSF to update their site, and
they say it will be updated soon to show once again that the T400 is
indeed shipping.

The target audience is RMS-loving FSF-loving freedom-loving free
software users who call the system GNU+Linux and who want all free
software and who want a secure laptop that respects their freedom;
namely, that everything including even the BIOS comes with full source
code. Something that doesn't come with NSA backdoors.

Minifree was selling X220 on pre-order; I'm working on porting the
ThinkPad X220 to Libreboot (the latest generation currently supported
by Libreboot is the X200 series, or its derivatives: T400, T500). The
current work is on ME disablement, which I'm confident will be successfu
l.

However, pre-order was risky in case I failed. I have recently come
into contact with new suppliers and I have hundreds of T400 laptops now.

Every purchase of the Libreboot T400 on Minifree funds my work on the
Libreboot X220 port.

There is also another laptop that I'm interested in, which I'm
building up funds for, and it is even more powerful than the X220 (AMD
hardware. No PSP, no backdoors, and work is already underway on it; I
will likely need to pay for some further development to take it all
the way into Libreboot-compatible realm).

- --
Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Use a free BIOS - https://libreboot.org/

Use a free operating system, GNU+Linux.
Or use LibertyBSD.

Support computer user freedom - https://peers.community/
https://fsf.org/ - https://gnu.org/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: https://minifree.org/