[Fsuk-manchester] Anti-DRM Action: Fwd: Support the marchers fighting fo

From: John Rooke
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Anti-DRM Action: Fwd: Support the marchers fighting for digital rights!
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 09:54:23 +0100

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Date:   Fri, 12 May 2017 21:57:13 -0400
From:   Zak Rogoff, FSF <address@hidden>
To:     John Rooke <address@hidden>

Free Software Foundation

Dear John Rooke,

This is the final showdown in the struggle to keep DRM (Digital
Restrictions Management)
<https://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm_digital_restrictions_management>
out of Web standards. Tim Berners-Lee, the inventor of the Web, could
make a final decision any day now. If he chooses to let big media
corporations add DRM to Web standards, he compromises our security and
freedom. If he chooses to reject DRM, he affirms our belief in a Web
that puts users first.

This is where the small, artist-led group called Ethics in Tech comes
in. They contacted us about a march to Tim Berners-Lee's office they are
leading this Saturday (May 13) at 2:00 PM EDT, demanding he reject DRM
in Web standards. We appreciate their commitment to digital rights and
we feel it's incredibly important that everyone support them right now.

*Show your support for the marchers!*

  * If you use GNU social or Mastodon, repeat this message.
    <https://status.fsf.org/conversation/201984#notice-234612>
  * If you use Twitter, repeat this message.
    <https://twitter.com/fsf/status/862758132686225410> (See our
    comparison <https://www.fsf.org/share> of social media platforms.)
  * If you don't use either service, post elsewhere (feel free to use
    the image below), or make a call to Tim Berners-Lee.

<https://www.defectivebydesign.org/blog/dialup_webs_inventor_online_security_and_rights>
  * If you live near Cambridge, MA, join the march!
    <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/EME_protest>

An image of a protester holding a sign that says 'Make Ethical Standards
or Stand on the Wrong Side of History.' The image is licensed CC BY
Ethics in Tech. Text to the left of the image reads 'This Saturday,
Boston locals march on Tim Berners-Lee's office demanding he say NO to
companies who want to undermine the freedom and security of the Web with
DRM. Repeat this if you support the marchers. More info: u.fsf.org/276.