Re: [Fsuk-manchester] CETA: Joint letter to Manchester Evening News, URG

From: Bob Mottram
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] CETA: Joint letter to Manchester Evening News, URGENT
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 14:23:51 +0000

On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 08:15:46PM +0000, John Rooke wrote:
  It has been proposed that we sign this letter to MEN regarding CETA.
  Please read and comment.  IT IS INTENDED TO SEND THE LETTER TONIGHT.

Seems rather rambling. I think if I were writing such a letter I'd try
to make it more concise and spell out as clearly as possible:

- What the main problems with the trade deal are
- How such a trade deal might have an impact upon businesses or
  services in Manchester

The more tangible your can make your arguments the more likely people
are to pay attention. Things like "negative impacts that this change in
legislation will have" are too vague. What are the negative impacts
likely to be? Who will they affect, and how?

I liked the part about "high theatre" and my observation is that to
really persuade people about anything they need to be able to imagine a
theatre in which the foretold events are playing out and reaching a
conclusion. Most people are augmented by mythologies rather than
abstract potentialities.