Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 21 June. Talk: "TTIP

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Follow-up: MFS Meeting. Tue, 21 June. Talk: "TTIP and software freedom"
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 18:16:22 +0100

On 06/07/16 09:12, Bob Mottram wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2016 at 08:21:57AM +0100, Michael Dorrington wrote:

>> Free Hardware talk:
>> * Libre Tea Computer Card:
>> ** https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

>> Beagleboards talk:
>> * http://beagleboard.org/

> Free hardware is topical. There has been a lot of chatter about the
> eoma68.

We could have a talk / discussion on that especially as we didn't do
Hardware Freedom Day this year.  Are people willing to help out with
this, for instance, demo'ing a Beagleboard?

Also of interest is that Beagleboard have just released a new model,
Green Wireless:
http://beagleboard.org/green-wireless

On a related note, Purism has a "Petition for Intel to Release an
ME-less CPU design":
https://puri.sm/posts/petition-for-intel-to-release-an-me-less-cpu-design/

> I think we're still in the very early period of free hardware
> designs. Some people are saying that we also need the designs of
> individual chips to also be free, and for circuit boards to be
> verifiable against some known design, but I think if that happens it's
> at least five years into the future. For now it's a mixed picture with
> possibly bad firmware (not just ME) lurking in the background on
> practically all systems.

Regards,
Mike.

--