[Fsuk-manchester] How free will the next fairphone be?

From: John Rooke
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] How free will the next fairphone be?
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 14:17:26 +0000

Interesting article at http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2015/03/05/fairphones-second-ethically-sourced-handset-is-coming-this-summer-but-its-still-not-all-that-fair/

"Right now, the company uses the Android operating system, but if the aim is to create a 100 percent ethical handset one day, it’ll have to think carefully about the best way to approach its software, as well as the hardware.

In terms of software we want to make it more open and look at privacy issues step-by-step again. The next phone we are releasing it with Android, and we also selected Qualcomm as the chipset manufacturer. That allows us to release Android together with a development environment, so people can rebuild the image and modify it.

Fairphone says it’s looking at using possible alternative OSes in the future, like Firefox OS or Sailfish. It would even contemplate giving consumers a choice of OS when they first switch on the device, if it could."