Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Meeting. Tue, 16 Sept. Talk: "Running a Free S

From: Phil Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Meeting. Tue, 16 Sept. Talk: "Running a Free Software support business"
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 20:29:58 +0100

Michael Dorrington <address@hidden> writes:

> As a result of a discussion on the MFS mailing list about
>
>       ...ideas on how ethically to make a living from free software as a
> freelance "computer guy" servicing local SMEs and end users.
>
> http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fsuk-manchester/2014-07/msg00001.html
>
> we are very fortunate that Des Gregory has agreed to give us a talk
> based on his experiences of doing just such a thing.
>
> "
> Some years ago I set up a social enterprise to provide second hand user
> PCs and laptops running GNU/Linux with installation and support. The
> idea was that the 'model' for the business might be adopted and adapted
> by anyone who was interested and had the skills or wanted to learn them
> so they would be able to earn a living out of it.
>
> I plan to cover (briefly) how it started out, what it became, and spend
> a bit of time on some of the things I learned from it.
>
> I hope to also cover how the market changed whilst I was doing this and
> how an idea like this might pan out today.
> "

I'm the author of the quoted inquiry, so I'm thrilled and grateful that
Des is doing this, and as you can imagine I'm keen to participate to the
extent that I can.

I live a long way away, 4+ hours travel each way by my reckoning. I'm
willing and able to do it, and I have friends in Manchester who will put
me up for the night. Still, if the talk were to be livecasted, either
interactive or passive, and/or available for download later, that might
suit my pocket and schedule better. Any chance? Sorry if I'm looking a
gift horse in the mouth; I don't mean to be a nuisance about this, just
checking my options.

--
Phil Hudson                   http://hudson-it.ddns.net
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63