Re: [Fsuk-manchester] LJ under NSA surveillance: "extremist".

From: Bob Mottram
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] LJ under NSA surveillance: "extremist".
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 14:46:22 +0100

On Sat, Jul 05, 2014 at 11:14:07AM +0100, Philip Hudson wrote:
> Are you an extremist? | Linux Journal
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/are-you-extremist

I think this is quite sad, because it's probably going to result in them losing
readers, or potential future readers, as a result of people quite
understandably not wanting to be branded as extremists. Also are any sponsors
of the magazine going to want to be associated with "extremism"?

It's a good example of how surveillance powers can be abused and how folks
doing quite mundane and legal stuff such as reading a technical magazine can be
targeted for special treatment.  In the past I've heard technical people say
that they don't care about surveillance because they're just engineers and are
not doing anything which would interest security agencies in the slightest. The
LJ story shows that attitude is quite mistaken and that even people who claim
to be entirely apolitical are not immune from the wider political forces.