Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Freelance user support

From: Quiliro Ordóñez Baca
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Freelance user support
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 16:39:09 -0500

El mar 01 jul 2014 06:31:48 ECT, Philip Hudson escribió:
> It occurred to me after sending my previous message about ledger and
> Gnucash that I should rather go back a step and refer to the list for
> ideas on how ethically to make a living from free software as a
> freelance "computer guy" servicing local SMEs and end users.
> Book-keeping and general productivity tools like LibreOffice are what
> I've been thinking of. I realize I need for my own credibility and
> that of free software to be ready to tell some -- many -- users that
> free software does *not* offer them a quick and easy alternative to
> what they do on Wintel. There is still a lot of stovepipe,
> proprietary, lock-in Windows-only stuff out there.

There is more vendor lock-in in some areas of software than others.
What area do you want to focus in? Have you ever gone to a store where
they sell Mac but not other brands? They will not back up from their
core value of using only Mac. Why cannot someone focus in only
servicing and installing free software?

--
Saludos libres,
Quiliro Ordóñez