Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Christmas Party. Madlab. Tues, *10th* December

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] MFS Christmas Party. Madlab. Tues, *10th* December. "MFS: Review of year gone. Discussion on next year."
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 21:04:23 +0000

On 02/12/13 19:27, Michael Dorrington wrote:
[...]
> * Event: Manchester Free Software Christmas Party
> * Location: Madlab. (Manchester Digital Laboratory).
> * Address: 36-40 Edge Street, Manchester. M4 1HN.
>   "(Between Thomas St and the Craft Centre, opposite A Bar Called Common)"
>   http://madlab.org.uk/
> * Date: Tuesday, 10th December 2013 (*not* 3rd Tuesday of the month)
> * Start time: 19:00
> * Finish time: 20:30 (and then on for drinks)

Good to chat to those that came to the Christmas party.

One question was about having issues with Calc from LibreOffice.  If I
had issues I would probably first do a search for that problem, running
the program from the command line if necessary so I got any error
output, and search on that, remember to quote stuff.  Hopefully this
would come up with a fix or work around.  I'd also check the bug reports
with my distro and submit a bug report if none was reported.  If that
didn't get the issue solve then I'd try backports from my distro, and
then the directly from upstream (stable first then bleeding edge later),
compiling if necessary.  It is also worth checking that it isn't a
hardware issue which might show up if the program is using a large
amount of memory or is CPU heavy.  Things like dmesg, memtest86+,
memtester, cpuburn (be careful!), mcelog can be useful then.  Cleaning
out dust, all fans still work, reseating heat sinks, ...

Good Luck,
M.

--
FSF member #9429