[Fsuk-manchester] FSF-certified USB Wi-Fi adapter

From: Bob Ham
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] FSF-certified USB Wi-Fi adapter
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 17:51:24 +0000

Hi all,

Apparently the FSF has now certified a USB Wi-Fi dongle in their
Respects Your Freedom program:

http://www.fsf.org/news/ryf-certification-thinkpenguin-usb-with-atheros-chip

This is great news; the only other bit of hardware that's been certified
is a 3D printer.  Apparently, Think Penguin worked with some sympathetic
engineers in Qualcomm who pushed to get the firmware released.  Win! :-)

Think Penguin is a company that makes laptops intended to work with Free
System Distributions (some may recall I mentioned them in my talk on a
100% free software laptop).

Here's the actual dongle, the TPE-N150USB based on the Atheros AR9271
chipset:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usb

Bob :-)

--