Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about software distributions on the list

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about software distributions on the list
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 21:27:59 +0000

On Sat, 2013-03-02 at 16:42 +0000, Simon Ward wrote:

> Guidelines for talking about Software Distributions
> Any distribution that meets all of the criteria in the Guidelines for
> Free System Distributions[1]:
>
>     talk about or promote as a “free system distribution” or “free
>     software distribution”
>
> A distribution that does not quite meet the criteria due to one or two
> minor problems, but aims to be a free software distribution:
>
>     talk about as a free software distribution with with caveats

I agree with the distinctions between different categories but I have a
very strong feeling that we should not be banning people from *talking*
about any particular subjects.  I would prefer it if the guidelines
addressed only *promotion* and did not go as far as addressing all
talking.

There may be instances of a subjective determination of whether some
particular speech constitutes promotion but I think it's reasonable to
leave this open and allow a consensus to form over such cases.

> Rationale for Definitions
> -------------------------
> There is an explicit definition for promotion because it can be unclear
> whether merely talking about something is promoting it. Talking about
> distributions containing free software should be possible.

Should this read that there "isn't an explicit definition"? :-)  And I
see you're agreeing with me on the talking :-)  Perhaps the wording
above just needs to be clarified?

> “Free system distribution” and “free software distribution” are
> considered interchangeable because it is unclear how they might be
> distinguished and attempting to distinguish them may lead to confusion.

Ack.

> Free system distribution and free software distribution are defined
> based on the Guidelines for Free System Distributions[1] because they
> exist and are already being used by some parts of the free software
> community to determine whether to use or endorse systems.
> [There are no “better” rationale, the decision to use them was largely
> arbitrary, and there will always be someone that takes issue with any
> choice that does not sit with their own subjective opinions.]

Ack.

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }