Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 21:55:16 +0000

On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 18:06 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:

> > Putting these issues aside though, Debian recommends non-free software
> > explicitly by having packages whose Recommends or Suggests fields point
> > to packages from contrib or non-free.
>
> No, it doesn't.  To quote the Debian policy manual: "In addition, the
> packages in main must not require or recommend a package outside of
> main for compilation or execution..."

It appears that the issue is not as cut and dry as that:

This appears to me to be a discussion about whether Debian policy is
clarified to permit references that would, as I understand it, be
unacceptable under the FSF Guidelines.

> Perhaps you were thinking of Ubuntu?  ;^)

No, I'm thinking of Debian.

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }