Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on the list
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 19:50:58 +0000

MJ Ray <address@hidden> wrote:

>Simon Ward <address@hidden>
>> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 03:13:11PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
>Throwing out example-less accusations which are disproved by published
>policy is bashing, though.  Could this be a guideline: if you're going
>to accuse a voluntary free software project of some misdeed, give an
>example so at least it can be noted as a bug by its volunteers?

I clearly said to start with that Debian aims to be a free software
distribution, so I'm not disputing that, and I am certainly not bashing it for
that.

You seem to be unhappy that I have suggested, based on the FSF guidelines, that
we do not promote Debian as a free software distribution until it has cleared
up the remaining issues. Having a policy that steers it in the right direction
is great, but that doesn't mean it has got to the target yet. The remaining
issues, which I also mention in my earlier post are:

  * there are non-free software repositories hosted, supported, and maintained
by the project (there may be documentation that references these that needs
changing too, but I haven't checked)
  * the system encourages the user to install non-free software (this should be
easily resolved)

I have pointed to the initiative started within Debian to try to meet the FSF
guidelines. The decision was made to get the low hanging fruit first, and deal
with the non-free repository later. That's fine, and I can see progress being
made.

Now, despite everything positive that I have said, because I have said that
Debian fails to meet the FSF guidelines, and I suggested we should not promote
it as a free distribution until then, I find I am accused of "bashing" my
favourite GNU/Linux distribution.

A confused Simon