Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on th e list (was

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Talking about non-free software on th e list (was: Any folks in Manchester interested in participating in an Ubuntu Global Jam event if I were t o organise one?)
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 19:20:01 +0000

On 2013-02-20 15:18, Simon Ward wrote:

The first sentence in the explanation for Debian is:

“Debian's Social Contract states the goal of making Debian entirely free software, and Debian conscientiously keeps nonfree software out
    of the official Debian system.”

I think this intent to be free software is key, and why I am prepared to
give Debian some leeway. It is also nice to know that people within
Debian are actively working towards resolving the remaining issues.

Slightly overcast but clear skies later on :-)

See
working with FSF on Debian Free-ness assessment[3] (there is a link to
the mailing list where discussion is taking place in that post).

[3]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2012/07/msg00016.html

I must say I'm very eager to see where this effort ends up. Currently waiting with bated breath for John Sullivan's write-up of his FOSDEM meeting with Stefano Zacchiroli.

Guidelines:

I'll respond to this more fully at a later time. Overall though, looks good to me and in fact there are a number of points I've felt needed to be made which you've expressed better than I could.

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }