Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Any folks in Manchester interested in participat

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Any folks in Manchester interested in participating in an Ubuntu Global Jam event if I were to organise one?
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 15:24:17 +0000

On 2013-02-20 14:15, MJ Ray wrote:
Bob Ham <address@hidden>
On 2013-02-20 01:46, MJ Ray wrote:

If an installer does not offer the possibility of installing some
non-free firmware, is it "concealing" that non-free firmware from the
user?  Or is it respecting the user's desire to not be offered an
invitation to the choking world of proprietary software?

Nice straw man.  Debian's installer has to have a firmware loader
anyway (some firmware is free software) and so any fully-working
installer must "offer the possibility" else it would not be free
software.

This is a misunderstanding. There's some poor wording on my part; the word "option" would have been better than "possibility". Let me rephrase:

If an installer does not offer to install some non-free firmware, is it "concealing" that non-free firmware from the user? Or is it respecting the user's desire to not be offered an invitation to the choking world of proprietary software?

So what does trisquel do if there is non-free-firmware-only hardware
present?  Just silently pretend it doesn't exist and waste the users'
time as they try to debug the apparently non-detected device, instead
of warning them it's not useful in the sunny world of free software?

In this situation I would expect Trisquel to do the same thing that Debian does when there is hardware present for which the kernel has no driver: silently pretend it doesn't exist and waste the users' time as they try to debug the apparently non-detected device, instead of warning them it's not useful in the slightly overcast world of Debian.

--
Bob Ham <address@hidden>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }