Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Any folks in Manchester interested in participatin

From: Simon Ward
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Any folks in Manchester interested in participating in an Ubuntu Global Jam event if I were to organise one?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:03:17 +0000

Ubuntu makes some choices that are not aligned with free software philosophies.
It might not be evil as such. I'm not using that language because I feel it is
too harsh. After all, it does promote free software. The problem is the
promotion of non-free software/services. It's not black and white.

If Manchester Free Software is a group for advocating free software, then it
should most certainly stick to that. The contention appears to be around also
discouraging non-free software. I think this is a reasonable thing to do:
encourage the good, discourage the bad. I understand that some believe positive
campaigning is the way forward, and negative campaigning should not be used,
but that misses an important point: if you don't tell people what is wrong,
they won't know. Our society generally works this way too when we deal with
crime.

Simon